Thursday, January 1, 2009

Websites and Applicability

A trend of web 2.0 is to have very specific websites that may or may not catch on in the population as a whole.  Much like new businesses in the traditional sense, these websites can either meet a very specific need and have enough interested parties to grow or they will slowly disappear against the larger players.   In other words, the Yahoo!s, Googles, Amazons of the world give the perception of being able to be all things to all people, much like the Barnes and Nobles or WalMarts or Best Buys of the world.   These, and other major players, will continue to engage in dominating market share by simply buying out smaller, specific, successful, websites and bringing them under their own umbrella.  In evaluating my own use of websites, they have maybe one opportunity to make me want to bookmark, or I write it off as something that is not applicable to me.  

In other words, when I need to fix something on my car, if I have as much success finding the solution by plugging my model, make, year and problem into google and finding the solution versus  trying to navigate the company's website or a mechanic's blog, then it is more efficient to use the source that gives me the answer the quickest.     

And...if the solution isn't immediately realized?  Patience is probably not really the issue as much as persistence.  With each passing day and each new site, collectively the answer probably can be found...if not now, in the near future.  

No comments: